7 October 2013

#41 Out of my depth

It's happened. Again.
It feels kind of insane
How often it's said
That I'm in over my head

Everything is rushing
I'm embarrassed and blushing
Because I should understand
But I'm really not the wanted man

Let me step back and explain
I went to shot the moon but hit a plane
I aimed way too high, and fell on my ass
I wanted to graduate when I needed to stay in class

Learning to reign myself in is not a skill I possess
I tend to go for too much so end up with less
Find myself claiming I'm far more than I am
A hollow shell of a shadow of a man

So as an intruder, I hide my heart
I try my best to act the part
And sometimes, I succeed
I do exactly what I need

I've felt an intruder the entire time
Like an accomplice in some sordid crime
Then people congratulate me after
Pat me on the back and say with laughter

How well I did, impressive and cool
Yet if on that day, I feel a fool
I'll believe them. And pledge to aim higher
Jump willingly from the frying pan, and into the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment