21 November 2013

#48 Refuge

I mean, personally, I find it difficult to see
Why anyone on this Earth would become a refugee
After all, it's quite frankly plain to me
There's no place like home to be quite so homely

I mean, my parents are there, if I'm not feeling well
But for when I am, man, the place seems swell
I'm safe behind these walls, it's easy to tell
To never come back, now *that* would be hell

I mean, why would anyone want to depart
The place they hold as home in their heart
I mean, there are so many comforts, privileges too
This country cares for me but why should it care for you?

I mean, sure you'd be welcome to stay a little while
But don't you miss home? Oh, why don't you smile?
I mean, is it really that bad? Is it really that tough?
You've...given up your home. You've had enough.

I'm sorry. I guess. I mean. I can't really know.
What it's like to not have a home to which you can go.
I've been fortunate. Far more than I'm willing to admit.
Please, I'm so sorry, won't you come in for a bit?




This was a very quick poem (intentionally kept a bit short), done a while ago on the theme of refuge. The people I submitted it to thought it wasn't good enough though. Considering I think this is one of my favourite ones I've written so far, that's a little disheartening, but hey, just means I'll improve for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment