8 April 2014

Honour: Honour Among Superheroes

I don't have a great origin story.
Unlike most heroes, my story is kind of dull - I've had my powers since my birth.
Unless you'd consider most childbirth gory,
There's nothing to distinguish mine from every other child on Earth

I was personally tutored from a young age
Taught multiple types of Engineering, I could get degrees overnight
Though my education was not just based on the page
See it was considered compulsory for me to learn how to fight

And I was great at my crafts
I became one of the strongest superheroes ever known
To oppose me was considered daft
I was a king of fear, who wasn't even aware he had a throne

I had been blessed with many powers
Which meant that there was no equal to me on the streets
Yet I wondered for many any hour
If there would be something that would eventually lead me to defeat

I became introspective of my plight
I turned to studies in a way no hero has before
Mine was a different kind of fight
One no one could have dreamt would be in store

So I studied philosophy
Tried to work out the motive behind my actions
I studied psychology
Why heroes and villains would always be split into factions 

I took a very bold decision
I talked to my nemeses, to all who opposed me
But I could never envision
The final result of my extended study

See, humans are a competitive race
We can't stand to be less good at anything than a rival
There's no greater insult than second place
So, with utmost certainty, I could predict the next great arrival

That if I kept on as I was
One would soon arrive who could match my strength
It would happen because
I'd cornered the enemy and hustled them at length

Either they gave up and went home
A rule of fear from my power controlling them at last
Or they would gather up every tome
To summon a rival, and they'd do it fast

So I made a choice
A final addition of the superhero coda
I summoned strength in my voice
And announced my heroing days as over

It was difficult
And draw so many criticisms and complaints
There grew cults
Worshipping me as Antichrist and saint

For I did not give my reason
I could not make the system self-aware
So my actions were simply treason
As for my motives, they didn't care

I still long for duty
I still long for such simple, straight forward solutions
Yet they'll never recruit me
My restraint must hold with resolution

The greatest act
That I'll ever do, with whom's legacy I am smitten
That I am in fact
The best hero, by being none, shall never be written














No comments:

Post a Comment