25 March 2015

Listening

Practical exercise time.
You've probably done it before courtesy of a tired teacher
Now courtesy of this rhyme
I want to re-execute this exercise in enlightment like a preacher

Are you ready? Do you trust me like science?
I'm going to follow it with you and write right after that
I need you to turn off all noise, engage in silence
Be aware of all that surrounds where you sit.

...

The constant whirr of my computer is not new. I'm aware of this companion
What else is there I don't always acknowledge?
A car on a distant road. It's man-made engine purrs as the wheels spin in tandem
Then something new is added to my knowledge

It's all artificial. Were I to try this again
Outside my home in a field in nature
I would hear insects enough to drive me insane
Or rivers and wind, I would happily venture

Humanity has made amazing things. But we must be aware
What progress has done is certainly profound.
We have silenced nature. Created our own fanfare.
I'm curious as to what you found?


No comments:

Post a Comment