24 August 2016

Olympics

Let me say right now, I love the Olympics
Just give me a chance to say why, real quick

That we should definitely care that it's not fair
On all the locals who happen to live there
That corruption is present in the organisation
But let's instead focus on athletic participation

Yes, it's fantastic inspiring and all that
How quickly a human can cycle round a track
There's real beauty and elegance and it's really cool
How they swim and dive into an oversized pool
Athletes perform feats that astound and amaze
A treat to repeat for weeks and days

And trust me, I know, more than you'd expect
What athletes give up the achieve these effects
I'm way way behind, but I've been given a glimpse
Of the cost to be paid to stand on the plinths
The dedication required, the sacrifice needed
The tears they've shed, the blood they've bleeded
The hours the days to advance through the fold
All just to play for a chance at the gold

I do love that. I admire it so very much.
But, that isn't the only thing to love as such.

The Olympics is one of the only times, we as a nation
Get to admire the huge range of innovation
That comes from every corner of our little globe
We have to respect every costume, kit, and robe
On our screens, for just a short little while
Costumes are creative, accents versatile
Through this competition, we see our rivals
New respect is formed, makes its arrival
It's far from the norm, but certainly nice
So enjoy it while it lasts - that's my advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment