8 March 2017

Trains

Across the country, on the rails.
Sometimes late, sometimes fails.
No longer followed by billows of smoke.
Reduced often to simple joke.

Yet I'm still a romantic for trains
For all their messes, all their pains
Despite the changes and privitization
They'll always appear in my ideal nation

Maybe it's growing up in York
Maybe it's due to stories, despite all the talk
I love the idea of the Hogwarts express
Streaming through fields showing no duress

The great equalizer, the reason many could see the sea
Suddenly we were closer that we ever thought we could be
Travelling the same route each and every day
"We'll get you this far, now make your own way"

I've travelled so many miles, but never lost track
Always knowing the path is open return back
Yes it's flawed, but for all their pains
I still have a certain fondness for trains



One of the odder effects of growing up in York, I feel. While I'll never be a train watcher I do still have more affection than I probably should for what is a mode of transport...

No comments:

Post a Comment