18 October 2017

Fluid Dynamics

Yo Yo, Mansfield Represent.

Although many of you may not know it, I consider myself a poet,
And when I give my rhymes its like fluid in a pipe - I like to flow it.
But there's societal shear stress, pushing back at me
But no matter how fast I spit lines they still affect my profile in velocity
Yet no matter how much they make my skin friction crawl
They can't compete against a potentially inviscid poetic addiction at all
If you have a central passion, you'll always find boundary interference
But overcoming this stereotyping drag is just the human experience
So I'm thinking you should wake up from your slumber, go out there and do it,
Or just go drinking and be like Reynold's with his number - never counting units.
Just do whatever it is you want without resistance, regret or fear
After all, you are the central flow, you are the person now in the know, you are an Engineer.

A little bonus poem from November 2012 I found when clearing through my emails. Written for Prof. Tom Povey, who set all the engineers a challenge to write a poem on fluid dynamics. He actually got me to perform mine in front of the lecture hall (as opposed to the rest which he read out). I think he called it "the first genuinely poetic submission he had received in his years of doing it".

No comments:

Post a Comment