14 March 2018

The kid could fly

The kid could fly.

By Jove and by Jupiter, this kid could fly!

They could, but wouldn't. So I had to ask why.

"Hey kid!", I asked in a not unkind tone,
To the kid who was sat looking guilty on his own.

"Don't worry" I rushed, "I don't mean to cause a fuss
But I must enquire - did you just feel a gust"?

I made an indirect enquiry, wishing to give the kid space.
I wasn't wishing to be mean - I just didn't want his talents to waste.

And I think the kid realised where my question had been heading.
You'd have thought that I'd asked the kid how to get to Armageddon.

It took much cajoling, and convincing of intent,
To let the kid know - what I wanted was innocent.

You see I'd see the kid hover, by a centimetre at most.
Only for a second - they flickered like a ghost.
But man, I thought what I could do with such power.
I wouldn't fly by the millisecond - I'd fly by the hour!

The kid swore me to secrecy (and you see I've kept my vow),
And swore she'd never give me the answer of "how"
But the answer of why she kept power under wraps?
She looked at me nervously, her nails began to tap.

"I dreamt of glory. And saw what it would mean.
In my head I was a saviour. In my head I became a queen.
The I saw what that would be, and what would come to be true.
I saw what terrible things such power can do.

Right now I'm a person - and I'm developing as such.
But this power of mine, it became my crutch.
I saw myself stagnate, in a place no one could touch me.
And so no one developed. And it saddened me muchly.

So I'm keeping it hidden. On lockdown if you will.
Believe me it's tough. I do miss the thrill.
I can fly through the clouds, if I wrap myself warm.
I can dance with the birds, be one with their swarm.

But for the sake of others not being intimidated by me.
I'll stay on the ground. With no power you can see."

The kid was insistent, even though she looked filled with regret.
About the things she can't do. About the secret that must be kept.
Though I disagreed with the answer, I accepted it and walked away.
Thinking about how this kid had been given such an important part to play.
A part they had taken a long look at, and rejected goodbye.
Leaving me with naughty but the tale
of the kid that could
but wouldn't
fly.               


No comments:

Post a Comment