30 May 2018

Visualising Eternity

One time, as a young child, I ventured outside my front door.
On my own.
I marvelled at how big the world was.

I knew my way to the shops at the end of my street.
It was a long walk.
I couldn't have gone much further.

As I grew, that street didn't seem as long anymore.
Familiarity shrinks the world.
But Curiosity grows it.

And I am a curious man, so before long I knew every street in my city.
I knew how long they were, how they connected.
And my city no longer seemed that big.

Then I left home, and I realised the world was much bigger than I imagined.
I shrunk that city too.
Then even more cities and even countries.


I have now walked many streets, yet barely covered more of the world than when I first began.
The world seems smaller.
And yet endless.

The issue with infinity and eternity, is that we are here and now.
In one place.
In one time.

And yet, somehow, I feel I appreciate the endless more.
For the efforts I started,
When I stepped outside my front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment