20 March 2019

The listener

I've talked the talk of a listener
I've told that tale a thousand times
I know I'm known as one who likes to listen
I've written as such in many lines

But if I'm given cause to recollect and
I pause long enough for reflection and
I make myself be overly honest then
Maybe I don't always really listen

I don't think it's that I seek constant validation
I don't think I've been cursed to have no hesitation
But the meaning of this insight is the underlying reason doesn't matter
Just that I will never gain from others if I never cease my chatter

So to let my inner listener live up to what I say
It's time to talk the talk and lock my lips away...


I actually wrote two poems on this theme. I wrote the one below first, but I think I improved on it with the one above, as it made the focus more on changing the internal rather than blaming the external, and also has some more humorous tones. Still, I'm keeping the first here as a bonus.


I want to help you speak
To say what you need to say
I know I talk too much
So I want to listen today

I know you've learnt many things
You've lived through many tales
I have had my time to sing
Do not be afraid to fail

We will talk together, if needed
I will not let you fall
But you must lead the way
You must learn to stand tall

If you want to talk let me help you in your mission
And, in exchange, could you help me learn to listen?

No comments:

Post a Comment