27 October 2021

Sword or shield

It's the same old situation you already know
You're on your knees, facing down a foe
You'll need some help to make it through this day
So you put your hands together and pray

But when you pray, do you pray for a sword, or for a shield?
For the strength to strike, or the fortitude to not yield?
Now, maybe it's machismo or maybe it's something more
But, for me, I feel I've strength enough inside my core

I don't want any more power at my command
But I would not turn down a greater ability to withstand
For an extra shelter from a hard day's rain
Or some balm to soothe away some pain

But more than that, I don't wish to strike another down
For current rivals in a conflict-filled town
It could be ego or folly, but something I do believe true
Is to never use force beyond which I absolutely have to

And I am filled with fear and awe for the power above
That I cannot wish for such a sword with love
Instead I'll pray for a shield in spite of it all
A second chance that stops my falter becoming my fall

No comments:

Post a Comment