29 May 2013

#22 Straight Edge

I've never needed to artificially produce a high
Never really done drugs, let me tell you why
Life is so thrilling and fantastic as it is
I don't need to do anything drastic for a fizz

To some people this is alienating
It's just uncool and a bit frustrating
People ask why "How can you not do {insert drug here}"
I'd reply but there's no answer they want to hear

I'm a bit scared of becoming reliant - sure
I've friends who're already in need of a cure
But it's not a main reason for keeping it clean
For not giving life a seasoning and adding a sheen

"Do you not feel awkward, like you're making us feel bad?"
You just sound backward, and kind of mad
I don't expect anyone to lead the life I do
But it's the way that gives me least strife, it's true

"Don't you feel like you're missing out on what life is?"
Let me answer that with a one question quiz
Is life about just taking stuff and losing yourself
About taking enough medication from shelf after shelf

No, the real reason is I want too do things under my own steam
I want to be the reason behind what all my actions mean
I want to be responsible for every choice
For the good, and the bad are done with my voice

While originally I just didn't like the taste
It's now a rule on which my life is based
For the better, it's part of my pledge
To the letter, to be straight edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment