19 June 2013

#25 First Impressions

I sometimes wonder what first impression I give
What criteria people judge me with
How I'm perceived, and how much the impression sticks
How long an impression takes to break, how many clock hand ticks.

I don't care about my appearance much, but it's more than I used to
I find rigorous styling too much hassle to go through
But I still care more than I might like to admit
So I'm curious as to what signals I transmit

So I know I talk fast and my hair is unkempt
That my posture is slovenly despite recent attempts
That I do talk a little posh, but dress as a mess
That I sometimes forget the name of the person I wish to address

That I tend to be keen, at least when meeting someone new
That I tend to mutter when I don't wish to
That I judge people as well, I have just as much guilt
It's something I'm ashamed of, a slight perspective tilt

But I've tried to become aware, so I can correct the pitch
It's much worse to be ignorant than to solve a worry itch
Because I'm a poor judge of character, and people can fascinate
Learn who someone really is, before you character assassinate


No comments:

Post a Comment