23 May 2014

Personal:My Room

I don't think people realise just how recently I've come out of my inner shell.
On the outside I was always sociable and interactive
I would always tell people about what I'd done. But never who I was
I've always held beliefs that I don't really talk about

For example, as a pacifist Christian, it's amazing how rarely I discuss these beliefs (possibly out of a desire to still have friends).
It's said by some that analogies are key for understanding
And there's one analogy that fits rather well
See, not many people have ever been in my room

When I was young, we didn't have people over much
My parents were blessed with 4 kids and boy did we bless them hard
So I never got in the habit of having friends visit me
Instead I would have to be invited to visit them

It just so happened my house was a bit offset from my close friends
So even when I was older, it was never my house things happened at
My home was just where I went to be with a busy family
Where I would lose myself in books for lack of anything else

When I got to uni, I was in the most isolated room
Just by chance, everyone else's room was more convenient
I decorated and put on a show, but still
No one really came to visit. And I never really asked them to.

I sort of didn't realise this was the case.
I'd decorate my room, be all presentable
Set up a chair in the corner for people to sit
Then never invite anyone to sit in it.

I'd like to think I'm different now
Just know that if I invite you back to my room
It's cause I want to get to know you better
And maybe chat a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment