12 November 2014

Remember: 2 minutes of Silence

This is 2 minutes of silence, 2 minutes to actually think
I relish in this quiet and let my thoughts start to sink
No one can control what goes through your mind
Here is 2 minutes worth of what you may find in mine

What is this for? Ah, that's right, I know
To remember a war from long long ago
A war we thought was fought for good reason
A war where not to fight was treason

It was fought by many
And yes they fought well
Those boys my age or less
They all went through hell

Not all, but some noble
Not all, but some kind
Not all, but some aware
Nor all, but some of sound mind

All of them fought in this war to end all wars
All wars since have just been peacekeeping missions
Even if I disagree with the fighting,
I have to admire their courage and ambition

As I do those who stood up
Saying they would not fight
It was a different bravery
306 executed for doing what they believed right

I know picking sides and saying who is right or wrong is a fool's errand
I know life isn't black or white, but far too often stained with red
So while I still am uneasy with propaganda, patriotic jingo and the means to war's end
Rest assured that in my 2 minutes, I still remember and honour the dead.

The 306 in this poem refer to the 306 soldiers shot for desertion. Read here - http://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/nov/14/firstworldwar.uk

For explanation to the poem, I'm not a fan of war. I doubt anyone really is. I really do feel in awe of those people who did give up their lives believing themselves to be protecting their families and country. However, we were not as pure as we like to make out. Propaganda tricked many into serving.  I fully doubt that everyone knew exactly why we were fighting. And no, it wasn't just to 'give the germans a good thrashing'. So, when I remember, I don't feel a lot of pride. I have no right to - I neither fought nor influenced anything that occurred. The country has changed a lot since a century ago. But I do feel sadness that so many died, and awe that they chose to do so.


The first world war was the first great war of the modern era. It was the last time modern war occurred where we could claim ignorance of the eventual consequences. That, and eveything that happened after, is worth remembering.

No comments:

Post a Comment