29 April 2015

Tanning?

Don't get me wrong. I'm amazed at the Sun. I really am.
I don't really understand the physics. Or the chemistry.
I just know it as a big ball of fire in the sky above me.
I know it's been here from long before I was born.
And will probably be here long after I die.

It provides plants with energy, to produce the oxygen we breath
It lights up our life so we can see our lover's faces
It is hidden by a rotating Earth to give us chance to rest
Now, we have harnessed the Sun to start to power our homes
It is vital to all life on this Earth.

Now, I understand all this, I really do.

But when a ray of light, emitted by this ball of fire
Travels eight minutes through the vacuum of space
Past space dust and planets, penetrating our atmosphere
Reaching the insignificant surface of this blue rock, against all odds
And finds, out of seven billion people, me.

Forgive me if I forget the wonders and curse at the Sun a short while.
As someone who burns a little easily.


Disclaimer: Written from the perspective of someone who burns easily. As someone who tans more than roasts, I have to admit I quite like the Sun this time of year...

No comments:

Post a Comment