12 April 2017

Two Cells

 I was once two cells. Then one.
From the moment, I became someone.
I would grow and grow and get real tall
Now I can’t remember being one cell at all.

And I. Have really. Tried.

I started off easy. I can remember being very nervous 5 minutes ago
Before I had any sort of idea where this poem would likely go
It’s a very clear memory. Although one I’ll probably forget
Ah well. We’ve got more difficult challenges to try yet

I can remember, quite a while ago now
The first time I did poetry in front of a crowd
I was 19 and proud of this thing I had wrote
As the sound went from my mind to my lungs to my throat

Let’s push back way more. I can remember (I think)
My first day of school. Dressed in blue and not pink
Still learning about how to play games and have fun
And how I was still learning how to be someone

I can push back further, and I’m sure you can too
I think I just about remember when I was two
I remember being in a playground, in a giant wooden horse
Scrambling around and getting all dirty (of course)

Past then. I really struggle. My parents fill gaps in my memory
I’ve seen photos of people that I’m told are in fact me
How this mind of mine once fit in a body much smaller
How I was so energetic – a climber and a crawler

That I was once so fragile. That those photos weren’t my limit
Honestly, it makes me shiver. Makes me want to forget it.
I really struggle to understand sometimes that that. Was. Me.
This shell I once fit in to oh so easily

Though my imagination struggles. I still know it to be true.
That going back before I was someone, I was one cell. Then two.

No comments:

Post a Comment