1 August 2018

The Compass and The Instructor


The Compass


The compass was a gift from God
But the needle refused to stay still
I'd walk three miles through deepest bog
Trying to follow its will

Today is a day we go North!
Needle held a steady line
Next day was East. I went forth
Then it showed South for a time

Occasionally, I would stop
Watch my compass circle round
Dive and dance and spin and drop
Sometimes point at the ground

While stationary I would panic
"I'm not going where I'm supposed to be"
While walking I'd grow manic
Following the whims of a force I could not see


I know not where I'm being led
I will walk through wind sun and shade
Following the smallest crumbs of bread
To feel that some progress has been made




The Instructor


The instructor, they took my hand
Adjusted the grip on my waist
Pushed my feet out slightly
Gave three instructions to my face

I had plenty of questions
But knew I was not allowed to ask
It was my job to learn
This oh-so-difficult task

The instructor was powerful
But gentle in their touch
I followed where they led
And did not question. Much.

Each time I tried, the same reply
Was whispered in my ear
Do not forget, my dear
I am the instructor here

In awe, I fell silent
Until another question would arise
This happened time and time again
Until, to my surprise

I finally lost myself in the dance. And then, for just a little while
We danced together as a pair, and I saw the instructor smile

No comments:

Post a Comment