5 September 2018

Rest

Tomorrow. Tomorrow will be the day I will rest.
But tomorrow I agreed work to be done, and it has to be my best.
And there's this other favour, and that one too.
I don't think the tomorrow's rest will likely come true.

Maybe in a week? I'll say no to things people suggest.
I'll schedule one day in when I can truly rest.
Hold on though. I have this weekly commitment early each day.
And that stuff in a month that I just can't delay.

Next year, I'll be a whole different me.
Maybe I'll stop my job and work and degree.
And in that year, I'll make time to do nothing at all.
Because otherwise I know I'll just hit a wall.

When I am dead, maybe I shall lay still in my grave.
Or maybe I'll still twist and turn and work and slave.
With the knowledge of one more thing I should do.
With a promise of rest held when eternity is due.

True rest is needed, and not just doing a different task.
The ability to stop. Breath. To collect yourself at last.
We all need that time. A break from the day to day.
And if I can't promise myself tomorrow's rest, then I shall rest today.

No comments:

Post a Comment