17 October 2018

Cost of a Birthday

Every year on my birthday I ask what I have done
What have I accomplished, what victories have I won?
I imagine meeting Father Time on this annual date
Handing over one year, as is my fate
And then asking, politely, what did I get in return?
Who did I meet? What did I learn?
Did I cause more smiles than frowns?
Did I visit new cultures or stay in one town?

And each year, when I sit down, and think really hard
And I realise the cost I've paid for each birthday card
I think it's worth it. I accept this trade.
It's a high cost, and maybe I didn't get the best deal for each second paid

But for those I've got to know, and the things I've been allowed to do
I'll pay the toll this year. And I can't wait to see what next year pays for too.

No comments:

Post a Comment