30 December 2020

Christmas 2020

To my nephew and my niece, Theo and Rosie
You probably won't remember this when you're as old as me
But I am spending a lovely Christmas with both of you
So this is a poem written just for you two

It was the Christmas that we all spent on our own
Encouraged to stick with those within our home
There was your Mum and Dad, and my Mum and Dad
(or, if you prefer, your Granny and Grandad)

It was my first Christmas in a long time that was work-free
Having (finally) wrapped up a very stressful degree
The previous year I had writing my thesis
So this year was always going to be a comparative bliss

So even though you were as loud as kids should be
Hanging out with both of you still made me happy
Figuring out the basics of how to walk, talk, and eat
Hankering for any melon or mince pie treat

I don't know what you'll both find as your future groove
But, once both of your conversation skills improve
I hope we reach out to each other and don't be lazy
And then, providing my memory isn't too hazy

I can tell you how much love was there
How your parents doted with tiredness and care
That, despite the circumstances and winter weather
I can remind you of a lovely Christmas we all spent together

With much, much love,
    Your Uncle Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment