24 February 2021

UK research

UK research? It isn't really a thing
At least, not in the way you're probably thinking
Nor in the way certain politicians like to portray
When they talk about UK research leading the way

So why does the phrase "UK research" leave me irked?
Well, when I consider all the different departments I've worked
I reflect on the wonderful diversity of colleagues of mine
Which collectively create the research these politicians find

While we have our biases, and we need to do better in many ways
There are men and women, old and young, straights and gays
But, importantly for this point I'm trying to probe
I've known wonderful people from all over the globe

Who all contribute, with different background and philosophies
Each adding different drops of water to the academic seas
Collaborating, discussing, debating, preaching
Helping us make leaps for things we'd never otherwise be reaching!

I will give credit, for the many UK-based funds and grants
That work in tandem with others to help our work advance
But here's the ground truth in case you haven't realised it before
The reason UK research is so good is because it stretches beyond our shore

No comments:

Post a Comment