13 July 2022

Prove Myself to Myself

I still haven't proven myself to myself
And I'm tryin' to figure out if that's a good thing
If I find I've lived up to internal expectations
Will I stop my inward looking?

It would be nice, by now, to feel goal achieved
Tick, done, I've finished what I begun at age zero
Be working comfortable with hard-earned skills
Tackling tasks after completing the journey of a hero

Maybe changing a bit here and there
But something close to the finished product on display
Alas, alas! I feel like a first (maybe second) draft
Still pencils lines sketching my path with dismay

Maybe that's good. Maybe there's a balance.
Maybe I'm spending too much time in my head.
Stop thinking expectations of myself,
And just embracing the unexpected journey instead.

I don't know if I'll ever prove myself to myself.
I hear he remembers all your mistakes and regret
But when you carve your own path,
It's some of the only feedback you get

***

So I will try to be a bit kinder to this work-in-progress
And let him realise that the end goal is but one on the path
Beyond goals, there are more important things to embrace.
People to love. Memories to remember. Moments to Laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment