17 April 2013

#16 Can't do it alone

I think one of the scariest moments of my life, was when I realised I couldn't do it alone.
I could never be truly independent, never could do it just on my own.
From the moment we are born, we need other people, our parents for a start.
The doctor and nurse who helped your Mother give birth, and your Dad also played his part

And as you grow up tall, you start to strive, and want more independence
You want it all, to feel more alive, and want to break your dependence
You think that some day, way off in the future, you can make it going solo
Make your own way, stand strong and endure, no matter where you go

The future is still an uncertain place, but I can tell you this
But straight to your face, here's my prognosis
The libertarian autonomic independence is ignorance incarnate
There's no man alive who doesn't benefit from his fellow primates.

For the road you walk on, the rubbish you make which is collected
To the meat you buy which has been independently inspected
The people who sterilise your water, and make it safe to drink
The scientists and philosophers who help form the ideas you think

On your own I honestly say you couldn't do any of this
If you think you could, you're deceiving yourself - it must be a happy bliss.
But society is a collection of all, not just you
But its not a bad thing, I tell you this true

Together, we really can be the best we can be
The sum of individuals creates a greater society
We are reliant on others to achieve almost all we desire
Through the power of others, we are lifted higher

No comments:

Post a Comment