5 March 2014

History: The Greatest Event in History

It was the oddest encounter I'd had since my birth
Many years of research had led to this point you see.
But I finally managed to make my mark on humanity.
The first human to ever speak to the Earth

I wondered what on Earth the Earth would say
Would it critique for how we treated the environment?
Would it tell us the purpose for which humanity was meant?
Or would it make small talk then go on it's way?

Would it be impressed with all we've done?
The fact we've harnessed the Earth, to power our homes
The fact we've recorded our history, written at length in tomes
Or would it hate us with a rage of the Sun?

I said my greetings, and waited for the Earth to reply
In a deep slow voice, it spoke only a few words for our existence
"Oh, I thought I felt something. I have to say I admire your persistence
Well, best of luck. But don't get your hopes too high..."

It was then silent and I realised our vanity
We need the Earth, but we're not a symbiotic pair
It's not that it doesn't want to, but that it can't care
For such fleeting an instance as humanity

No comments:

Post a Comment