15 June 2016

Sage Advice

"I was a lot more comfortable being vulnerable and open
When I was younger, and it wasn't clear if I was or wasn't joking..." - Sage Francis

It can be a struggle. To be open and honest.
So despite the evidence, I'll say that I'm for this.
When I say despite the evidence, I mean that sincerely,
Because I know for a fact that sincerity fears me.

I, like many others of my generation and age
Will stick to some conventions like tears to a rage
Although we're trying to shake them off, they just wont leave
Symptomatic of the very sickness from which we seek reprieve

Although we all have our little self-depreciation lines
Then shake them off jokingly, say that it's fine
Before we can notice, while enjoying the effect
It's turned into the knock-me-down stand-up set

But it's never serious, oh don't be silly
It's just a joke, and man these jokes kill me
Little by little, eating away at our pride
Until the jokes are as hollow as we feel inside

For me, these little jokes that I used to invent
Were the only times I'd ever get a compliment
So I'd repeat my own humiliation, as it carved the way
For the fact I still feel awkward getting complimented today

Please, if you are struggling, make me aware.
And tell me sincerely, so that I can show care
Be happy when you're happy, don't force a fake smile
Leaving people wondering what you're feeling all the while

No matter who you are, what gender, what age
Please pay attention to those words from a Sage

If you really want to know what it's like being open and honest, please listen to Make 'em Purr by Sage Francis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0q0zAREm5U

No comments:

Post a Comment