1 June 2016

Voting

Pay attention. Listen up.
I'm going to try to explain something difficult.

Democracy.

No, wait! Don't go. I swear, I'll try to make it quick.

See, Democracy, to me, is still radical.
And I don't mean radical like skateboards,
    I don't mean radical like Guitar Hero.
I mean radical like revolutions are radical.

Because the idea that every single person has a valid opinion
And the following conclusion, that we have to listen to those opinions
That the collective will of every Jack, Tom and Harry, of every Jill, Beth, and Hannah
That all of us deserve a say in how our country is run.
That, to me, is radical.

Do you ever stop to think how unpopular that idea was to the ruling classes?

Nowadays, we have made democracy dull.
We have sanitised it beyond belief, made it boring.
It is carried out with pencils and paper in churches and schools.
Usually on a Thursday.

Please, don't be fooled.
Instead, please join me.

Because, I subscribe to this radical notion of democracy.
The idea that everyone's opinions matter is one I hold dear,
And yes, that includes you. That certainly and always includes you.

Just as you wouldn't let someone else take away your voice,
Please don't let apathy, or perceived insignificance steal it either.
For you are significant. For your voice matters.
But only if you let it.

What your voice says? That's up to you.

The deadline is June 7th.
https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

No comments:

Post a Comment