7 June 2017

I've slept since then

If it's a while since I've seen a friend
If it's been many moons, then I can't even pretend
That I recognise them, sometimes. But that's just how life goes
Time as has marched onwards and I simply tell them
I've missed you. But I've slept since then

You see, sleep is the barrier. The reworking of our minds
It's the internal engineer, fixing what they find
Chucking out this. Presenting me with that
Giving me ideas and taking them too
I don't believe dreams are something you just sleep through

So even if it's only been a couple days
Since the last time that we parted ways
And a story or name has slipped by cumbersome mind
Then I hope they understand when
I tell them, I've slept since then

I've dreamt of dragons, dreamt of knights
Where I fought the darkness, became the light
I learnt to fly. And then, without reason, forgot
I've visited plants and stars and places entirely blue
I don't believe dreams are something you just sleep through

So, here's the kicker. When it hasn't been a while
Just a few short hours since I saw your smile
Sometimes, it still feels like an age. Like a lifetime
That's when I have to admit and tell them
Quite simply, I've slept since then.

Like, seriously.
I sleep a lot.
Sometimes once a day.
Sometimes three times a day.
...
Yeah. So, sorry if I've done this to you.


One of my friends wrote a very cool poem where the tag line was 'I've slept since then', and it was a reflection of their ability to get over events. They very kindly allowed me to use their tag line for this piece of nonsense.


No comments:

Post a Comment