28 June 2017

This organic heart

And against all the odds
     this organic heart of mine beats

I was a chance birth
Hey,
  we all were.

The odds of my strands of DNA
Expressing themselves in my particular way
To lead to me, the person standing here right now today
Man, it makes me shudder.

And then, all life has thrown at me so far
The stresses
  the pains
    the heartbreaks
      the actual, physical dangers: like cars or lightning.
Or older brothers.

And I've needed blood in my muscles
  and I've needed blood in my brain
    because I need ENERGY
  to survive.
And, sometimes, to run.

So it has worked hard
On a not very efficient system
With a user who has read the manual
     but refuses to follow any of the instructions

And, against all the odds
     this organic heart of mine beats

No comments:

Post a Comment