6 February 2019

Another tongue

You know those times when you sit back relax
And let facts swarm into your cortex?
I mull the possibilities of life all its strife
And if I've failed in navigating something so complex

It may display my grade-school philosophy
But it amazes me that you can understand me

Look ma, look at me! I'm making vibrations
How bizarre that with these vibrations I can give indication
Of some funky theological theory or ask if you're doing fine
Or maybe if you'd like to see a movie and go out some time.

But not only that. Because I spent a life time learning my lines
Learning nuances and how to intertwine densely packed rhymes

What really amazes me, is around the Earth, from many different homes
That crazily, from birth, people learnt from a different set of tongues and tomes
Had we met at five, we could only have communicated in playground games and chalk drawings
But now they've spent their time alive learning so we can talk in a morning

I feel so stupid. Sometimes. Realising how much work it takes.
To learn a new dictionary, and all of English's weird quirks and mistakes.
Especially, when I am apologetically asked for a niche word or definition
One that, in my single tongue, I only learnt after twenty-one years of existing!

I'm sorry if sometimes I speak to fast.
If I forget you and I have different pasts.
You can know so much. I'm in awe, and so I say nothing less
Than that my multilingual friends leave this single-tongued poet
speechless

No comments:

Post a Comment