27 February 2019

Identity

It comes at the boundary of what and who?
Deciding the things which define you as you
Words are simply words and it seems an absurd task
Defining my identity if anyone should ask

Am I am poet, or a person who does poetry
Am I truly kind or do I just make myself act kindly
Am I a scientist because I think theoretically
Am I just a label that defines my identity?

I breath every day but I'd never call myself a breather
Neither as a drinker or a thinker or an eater
Maybe the only reason I don't define by the deeds I do each day
It that every individual I've ever met also acts this way

So if it's not what I do daily, is it what I do differently?
Those things you don't do that I do uniquely?
But I've met better artists, better athletes, better friends
Do I have to win a label and then stand and defend?

I don't think I'm alone in the fact that I falter
I've forgotten many things in the pursuit of growing older
My morality is meant to be my steady compass in a storm
But one day I'll be introduced by things I can't do any more

In these modern times I find people seem to know the life they're living
Like they've looked inside and pried a guide that seemed easily given
And I'm just standing here like "Can I get one of those?"
Preferable one with easy answers and simplistic prose

I'm not sure I can call this a journey as I don't think there's a destination
And though my God stands solid my faith can also be shaken
The only honest answer in this quest to find identity
Is the simplest one of all. That I am me.

No comments:

Post a Comment