1 January 2020

Dear Harry in ten years

Dear Harry in ten years,

How are you doing? I hope you didn't change your name
Or, if you did, that a forwarding address means this will find you all the same

I wanted to check in with you, after all, it's been a while
Is your motto still to try to be someone you could talk to with a smile?
Or has another song lyric taken its place?
Have you found a lyricist more talented than Aes?

Are you still writing poetry? I've been going seven straight years.
Did you finally build up courage to send it to someone and ignore your fears?
What about work? If you're like me know, you'll hate being asked
But right now I'm on the precipice, being forced to leap at last

I've been static I know, while still moving hard.
I could identify every part of Oxford you'd find on a postcard
I've spent many years here, it feels like a home
I don't know if I want to settle or just want to roam

Right now, between frisbee and work, I've been delayed in seeing friends
I hope that you got around to meeting them again in the end
Everyone around me seems to be getting married and becoming mums or dads
It seems like something nice, but from a distance most things seem rad

Right now I feel under a lot of stress, fairly unable to take risks
I've had to stay at home a lot and give up on the disc
Though I feel I wouldn't trade the time I spent playing with the best
I wont lie that it still felt good at times to be having a little rest

Now, I want to return, but I've been going to the gym properly
After a long time promising myself I finally made it a priority
Did it work? Or did I just get injured yet again
If I did I bet it was the hamstring strain

I feel like I'm stronger in faith than when the decade began
Maybe I'll fall away or maybe I'll be baptised a second man
I know I'll learn a lot and change my philosophy
Promise me though you'll think through it properly?

Look, that future is uncertain, and I'll have to stay right here
A person in the past writing a future poem for the new year
I don't know if you need it, but I want to wish you luck
You're smarter than you think, even when you think you're stuck

I've no idea who you are, but I hope you're someone I'd enjoy meeting
That even if your life is hectic you have time for a friendly greeting
I've no idea if you'll read this, or even if the internet will still exist
Maybe you'll start drinking alcohol and enjoy getting pissed
Maybe the planet will call humanity on its hubris in climate change
Maybe politics will become less tribal and become less strange
Maybe, maybe. I could worry about the future forever.
The other option is to go live it, and try to change things for the better

Hey Harry? Remember you don't have to do things on your own
Remember how great your friends are. Remember you aren't alone.
Trust in Him. Trust in the relationships you've sewn.
I hope you're happy. I hope you've grown.

Dear Harry in ten years, or even in more
Don't be a stranger. Give the future what for.
Love, Harry (2019)




No comments:

Post a Comment