22 January 2020

Go to war

No matter what you think of war, do not forget the cost
Do not forget the sacrifice, the souls that will be lost
And though the rich and powerful dictate the terms of war
Remember that the price is often paid for by the young and poor

There are times when you might think of war as the action we must take
When our principles are pushed and we must stand up for them or break
If you're worried a foreign power will come and strike you in your home
I see then why you would ask for yet one more war to add to history's tome

Now, here's he thing. I do not know what goes on within the halls of power
I am not privy to the finer details of the words that echo in the ivory tower
I have not known firsthand the impasse of the leader of a nation
I do not know the stress of the country critiquing every hesitation

And yet, and yet. From my soapbox on the ground it sometimes seems to me.
That the final option of war is not always as final as it should be.
That those in the game for profit or for ego or for pride
Will gladly wage a war with a conflict on the side

It can be hard from way down here to find the truth between the news
And it's all to easy to imagine a dystopia where war is waged for votes and views
Maybe I'm an optimist. But I can't believe that's true
That a payment of lives is such an easy thing to do

But maybe they don't remember. It can be easy to forget.
When leaders go to war they don't yet know their debt.
So it's up to the people to remind them, before the souls are lost.
That if you choose to go to war do not forget the cost.


No comments:

Post a Comment