1 July 2020

Sound of my name

I'm not sure I've ever really felt that my name is me.
It's just a label, what more could it be?
It's not tied to ancestors generations long gone
Nor to a culture to which I will always belong

I was not named for a hero whose deed were great
No, my name means nothing. It does not determine my fate.
It is not an adjective or promise about who I would be
All my name does is signify that I'm me

Yet I am not even the only one with my name on the earth
So I feel it is not my name that gives me worth

For more than my name, I feel I am the things I have done
Those are the things that make me someone
My name was chance, from people who did not yet know me
So I will not be defined by a few syllables only

One day, I guess, I may feel proud of my name
Or, the opposite, I could view it with shame
But one things for certain, if I am more than those sounds
I had better show it and live a life that's profound

No comments:

Post a Comment