2 June 2021

Unironically Woke

Here is a statement that might confuse some folk
I, unironically, will call myself woke
And I'm not being performative or hiding schemes
I just believe in what the word actually means

Being "woke" seems like classic young person slang
It's lit, it's peng, you get me fam?
And it is a hip word, I know that's true
But being woke is an important concept too

It captures an idea we've needed for a while
And what "woke" represents hopefully wont go out of style
It's an awareness, alertness, to injustices on Earth
An awareness of privilege you've had since birth

But, because the word is non-white in origin
It's mocked by those who are lacking in melanin
Not realising that their aversion to this aspect of black speech
Is exactly why wokeness is an important mindstate to reach

Because the extra barriers to serious discussions
Around wokeness have big repercussions
We'd rather not discuss the impact of colonialism today
So instead we'll focus on how woke is a funny word to say

If this is you, I'd ask you to take a step back
Focus on the idea, ignore that the word is black
Try to ignore the ad hominems that are so easy to tell
And ask yourself honestly if you might be woke as well 

No comments:

Post a Comment