9 June 2021

Suzie's Wedding Poem

 Dear Suzie and Kyle

It is tradition, on such a momentous event as today
To honour you with an old and tired cliché
Letting you know that I think the pair of you make the most lovely set
But mainly letting you know that I can use the internet

However. You are a unique special couple and we live in unique special times 
So it would not be fitting to trouble you with overused and overtired rhymes
As an example, a truth that everyone here can hold with us wherever we go
Is that we are utterly certain that we rank within the top 15 to 30 people you know

So as you move from the world of fiancés and spouses-to-be
Into the future of "My partner and me" 
I'm not going to joke about how it's now too late to run
Or how you're going to need permission to go out and have fun

Honestly, I consider it a shame
To refer to a loving partner as "the ol' ball and chain"
Because you seem happy with this choice in life
So, instead, here's a celebration of this new husband and wife

To Kyle, it is an honour to welcome you to the family
To have yet another older brother with hair a different colour to me
I welcome your jokes and your good humour too
I look forward to making future memories with you

To Suzie. Ah Suzie, special sister of mine.
Here's a one-time apology for all the many times I was an irritating younger brother and made you whine
I'm thankful for the creativity we've shared with each other
Genuinely, Suzie, I am thankful to be your brother

To the both of you, I wish you more than just a fantastic day
I wish you the strength to support each other over any hardships that come your way
Be unashamedly in love all future years
Reinforce each others' hopes, tackle each others' fears

Be loving and open, as I know you can be
Best wishes from me and the rest of the family
Share love. Share adventures. Always, share a smile.
As you go forth from this day as one pair, as Suzie and Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment