21 July 2021

Music Theory

I wish I knew more about music

I wish I knew why it allowed me to close my eyes and drift away
Or dance through the night and into the next day

I wish I knew why words seemed more powerful with melodic backing
Or even how people train to sing so high without their voice cracking

How is it music can take my mood, and amplify it more?
Why is it that some songs seem part of me, to my core?

Or why it is I love hearing rhymes spoken over strings?
I wish I knew so many things

And yet. And yet.

The romantic in me feels that, while there are answers, it's fine not to know.
The mystery means I'm fully unprepared for where my tastes will go.
I wont listen to a new track and think "what a fantastic chord progression is this"!
Instead I'll sit back and let myself seep into bliss.

It's not to say that one day, particularly if I want to create myself
I wont decide to invest and grab a music theory book from the shelf
Just that, for now, I'm happy not knowing what it is that make music so electrical
To keep the trick a secret, so each new track is magical

No comments:

Post a Comment