22 November 2017

The Vow

Dear Lord

I make this vow, as thanks for the Agape* you have shown me
To try to give back some love in exchange for you having known me
So, in the name of You I take Jesus as my witness
To try to involve my faith in all of my business
To not take worship lightly, yet not to consider it a chore
To be satisfied with my blessings, not always asking for more
To by proud of my faith and not hide it in shame
And accept, as a Christian, every act that I do is done in your name
I will take you in richer and poorer, in sickness and in health
Knowing that the relationship we hold is beyond medicine and wealth
I am needy - I need comfort, care, and forgiveness
I know if I am only bold enough to ask - you will give this
I will try my best to be faithful, and try my best to not stray
And that when I falter I ask you to help me back to live in your way
For my ashes are your ashes, my dust will be your dust
My words in this vow seek to sanctify this trust
As I lift up my passion and lift up my heart
My life is your life and in death we shall not part
I admit to believing these words as I'm saying them now
So in your name, Lord, I seal this vow

Amen

*Greek for the love between God and man. Not the English, agape, meaning opened wide. This would give the poem a different meaning.

-

Matthew 5:34-37 New International Version (NIV)

34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne;35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.[a]
-
With the above in mind, this poem is not to be taken as an actual oath. It is written to try to prioritise in my head that which I hold dear, rather than as a literal declaration. It was written to be symbolic of the vow taken at a wedding, hence a lot of the imagery.

No comments:

Post a Comment