1 May 2019

Good Friday

The girl was upset. She was only just holding herself together.
"But you promised!" She cried. She seemed to cry forever.
Promises are only words, or, that's what I used to believe
This great game we had been playing I now just wanted to leave

.
.
.

So, I know this girl. She's the sort of person worth knowing.
She'll create the most wonderful adventures, then keep the world growing.
But don't step in too lightly, she cares deeply for her creation.
She knows how her birds fly, and the shape of her vegetation.

Such passion is contagious, I wanted to be part of her world too.
She agreed - "If you look after my world then I'll look after you"
So I promised, and I meant it. Not knowing how strong such words could be.
She allowed me to step inside her world, the one she'd create to hold such beauty.

I lasted five minutes. It wasn't my fault! I was betrayed!
And yes, sure, I went against one of the only rules she had made.
But it hurt me too. Well, probably less than it hurt her to be fair.
We carried on regardless, regret and tension in the air.

I kept doing small things, and the girl kept working on,
Adapting to my mistakes, correcting when I went wrong.
I was just happy I got to play with her at all
And she enjoyed being with me, despite it being so stressful.

One time she had to nearly start over, but we kept going still.
She made me once a ruler, and answered to my will.
...I didn't do that well, and soon I fell from power, then again once more.
But we loved this world between us, every heart and every flaw.

Then I got greedy. I started to seize control.
But I didn't have her gift, her focus and her goal.
Things became hazy, armies fell at my command.
The world I was meant to care for fell beneath my hand.

.
.
.

"You promised!". I did. I meant it at the time.
The words now seemed quite hollow and echoed with my crime.
She was going to strike me out, banish me forever.
No longer would we share in this wonderful world together.

"I should" she said "strike you from this place"
"You've defiled what we built, you've acted a disgrace"
"I could ask you to leave, you know it would be fair and true"
"So know how much it hurts me
       That I'm going to throw away my world
              And keep you"

.
.
.
This world she had created, this beautiful piece of art
She gave it up for me, this thing to which she had poured her heart
I did not deserve it, but I was thankful just the same.
So I pledged to be more faithful
     And to ensure I kept her promise
           I pledged it in her name.

No comments:

Post a Comment