8 December 2021

Me, but younger

I remember who I was way back in the day
I remember being young and tryna make my way
I can remember that I struggled and had everything to loose
Now I'm nostalgic for that security and ability to snooze

So I've grown
Older and taller and a little bit wiser
So I've grown
Hopefully kinder and not into a miser
So I've grown
I've met many friends and been many places
So I've grown
And I know that I've worn many different faces

I'm still the same person that I was back then
But I'm not the *same* person I was back then
I've learned many lessons that I wouldn't want to relearn
I'll act in different way if given my turn

I started out a youngest kid learning how to walk
I grow up and figured out how not to mumble but to talk
I paid attention to the barriers I had to pass in education
And finally became less awkward in social situations

I embraced my vulnerability rather than trying to hide it away
All of which lead me to the person I find myself today
And I don't mean superficial things like my hair is longer
Or that I don't appreciate the fact I've got stronger

I mean I don't look back and think "man, he was dense"
It's not third person, just me with les experience
I don't think it helps to imagine the person in the past wasn't me
Just to realise that I was still deciding what "being myself" could be

No comments:

Post a Comment