31 July 2013

#31 The Clockwork Man

I don't know why, but sometimes, I'm scared of being replaced.
And I'm scared that replacement will be able to do everything I can
That if one day I was just suddenly erased
My replacement could just be the clockwork man

That my day to day becomes too predictable
That the way I walk and talk can be replicated
That each day is merely average and typical
With the life that fate has seen me designated

And I'm not sure why I'm scared of this
What is so bone chilling about routine
But it's simultaneously a cage, a chasm, an abyss
The easiest trap into which I could careen

It's the curse of comfort, the fate of the familiar
But something which a lot of people may not think too scary
Life is just what you've got, does it really make you shiver,
If you like your life enough you don't want it to vary?

I want to experience life, in all it's horror and majesty
I want to know my life was not just spent in the same old dive
To make mine the richest of tapestries
To always feel like I'm still alive

For me, I'm afraid, that's the way my views go
The monotony of repetition is my greatest fear
Because the clockwork man inside me is waiting in my shadow
But for now, if just now, he's not in control here.

No comments:

Post a Comment